Friday, February 17, 2012

Japanese-inspired hanging mobile for the baby nursery


 I've always loved Echino Fabric by the Japanese designer Etsuko Furuya.  It was so much fun finding coordinating prints and colors for this Japanese-inspired hanging mobile for the baby nursery.  Aren't these prints fun?  Car, scooter and bicycle seems like great decor for a baby boy's room.  



And on this mobile I decided not to distress the edges like I've done on my previous mobiles.  Once I sanded the edges I liked the look of the woodgrain.  I think it gives the mobile a more modern feel.  This actually got me thinking about all the different types of wood I could work with.  Currently I'm working through a pile of reclaimed cedar that was left over from building our fence.  I've had it stacked in the garage for years and it feels so great to be finally using it.  I couldn't bring myself to throw away perfectly good wood... even though, at the time, I had no idea what I'd do with it all.  So once my stash is depleted, I'll have to experiment with some other kinds of wood.  Maybe Poplar?  We'll see!

No comments: